Monday, December 03, 2007

omnitech gps review


Are you tempted to buy the irresistable deal for omnitech gps from staples? read on..

After checking the "Omnitech GPS" deal at staples, i was immediately tempted to buy looking its features like 4.3" screen, Text-To-Speech functionality, google-maps like UI and 170$ price tag when compared to hefty 350$ of garmin nuvi.




I almost decided to buy but staples has only one review. so, i googled to find more information/images in the web but of no use. After seraching it with the keyword "Destinator", i could finally crack down its details and the website of the product.

This is the website for the omnitech GPS, But in the website the word "omnitech" is mentioned nowhere ( Its there only in front page image, hidden from search engines.. )
http://www.navsupport.net/gps/15223/

Here is the link for the review of this GPS
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?s=bb3f4b04227a16cdaaae9872751ab182&t=521001&page=2

It took more than one hour to find out the information even with google, so i decided to share this at one place, which might be useful..

Here is the User manual, checkout the screenshots, you will immediately notice the poor UI compared to garmin and tom tom.
http://www.navsupport.net/gps/15223/download/OmnitechGPS_UM_S19510V2_English.pdf
The mapping data is from navteq, so if you dont mind the user interface much, this is worth the money for the features it provides.

Anyway i am very much impressed with garmin UI, i would better wait till garmin nuvi 200W price drop below $200

Lately i noticed even the pharos GPS sold by Dell also looks some thing like this, seems to be pharos also uses the same UI ( presumably from destinator technologies http://www.destinatortechnologies.com/)


Tags: Omnitech GPS review staples deal destinator Garmin nuvi Tom Tom

9 comments:

Ram said...

Cool info. very much useful. Ultimately for 100$, would u recommend purchasing the Omnitech GPS product? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Saw a bunch of reviews on this OmniTech GPS unit on several different sites. Found it to be identical to the Pharos 250.

http://www.pharosgps.com/products/all-in-one/PDR250.htm

They even use the same screen shot to promote both. Haven't opened yet, til Santa officially drops it off... Stay tuned

Anonymous said...

Have had for 1 day and sorry to say I am FAR from impressed. First time with this "Brand" Omnitech and even after hours of attempted charging and futile attempts my unit will not even turn on. Good luck getting any support it's non existant and a useless waste of time even getting a rep on the phone takes over three tries and 1/2 hour waits between frustrated hang ups. Learn from my mistakes and pass this up on the bargan hunt. Unless I'm just an idiot and one of you folks know something about this device that I can't figure out? And yes I tried everything I could think of before posting this. I have only found one other review that matches my troubles on the staples web site dated in December.

Anonymous said...

on my unit i have to hold the power button for a few seconds and it works great.

Unknown said...

my first omnitech gps froze every time i punched in an address. it wouldn't calculate a route without sitting there for WAY TOO long trying to figure it out, and then of course freezing... after too many frustrations, i had the unit replaced.

now, on my second one, it won't even let me choose anything. it turns on, but either won't pass the "system loading" page, or... if it makes it to the options of GO, MAP or SETTINGS, it will not register that i'm even touching the screen.

garbage.

Anonymous said...

This page needs an updated review so here I am to give one.

I bought this exact same model from Staples this year 3/09. two years later than when this page started. I have used this unit and am very impressed it is not garbage I have had not the first problem with it. Staples ran an add last week for this unit and it started out at $199 with $85 instant in store rebate and with another $35 easy rebate. I also had two rewards coupons and 1 rebate check. so I simply put got this unit for $40! Even if I hadnt had these rebates and coupons I still would have given this unit a try. I have recommended it to others and they are impressed as well.

So KUDOS to Omnitech for making a great product that is as good as it gets.

Unknown said...

Purchased this unit today. Setup right in the parking lot. Works great.

Anonymous said...

I installed iGo8 and Navigon7 on it and it has been working great.

Anonymous said...

My gps stopped working. It kept saying the signal was too weak. I have been to their website, called their 888 number, and even tried going back to staples to no avail. I am very disappointed to have purchased this product with no way of getting any assistance for repair.